Kayleigh

Introduction: Fish (The Funny Farm Interview - July '95, Dick Bros) said: "Kayleigh was a way of saying sorry. I dunno, I was very confused at the time, you know, I had a lot of long term relationships, a lot of 'deep and meaningful' relationships that, basically I'd wrecked because I was obsessed with the career and where I wanted to go. I was very, very selfish and I just wanted to be the famous singer but I was starting to become aware of the sacrifices that I was making, and I think that Kay was one of those sacrifices that went along the road. 
"Kayleigh was not just about one person; it was about three or four different people. The 'stilettos in the snow', that was something that happened in Galasheils (S.E. Scotland - Ed), when I can remember going down one night and we were both really drunk, and, you know, dancin' under a street light, and 'dawn escapes from moon-washed college halls' was part of the Cambridge thing. And it was also part of the... in that where this girl Kay used to live; she was exiting in the morning before the matron caught us, etc." 

'Kayleigh'
The name Kayleigh was based on one of Fish's former girlfriends, Kay who had had the middle name Lee. On 24 October 2012, Fish reported the sad news that Kay had died.

'Belsize Park'
An area of north west London. 


'Dawn escapes... college halls'
Fish (The Funny Farm Interview - July '95, Dick Bros) said: "[In 1980] Diz and I moved down to Cambridge where I had a girl friend who was an archaeology student at the time. So we were actually living in this all female block down in Cambridge; I think it was Newlands College or something, having to sneak during the day through the windows because there were no males supposedly allowed in the college." 

 
Where to get this song:

 

1 comment:

  1. I tried desperately to allow my wife to let us name our first daughter Kayleigh. She steadfastly refused and wanted to name her Hayden. We settled on Kayden, and she is (in part) a name sake of this song. We thought we had made the name up, but have since come to know several others by the same name. All boys. Grateful for the memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments.

All comments are moderated, so apologies if it doesn't appear right away!